Friday, January 17, 2003

Hmmmm....
I'm not quite sure what to do with this article by Mr. Cork. This paragraph in particular threw me for a bit of a loop.
"Campus ministry is ministry to a unique and distinct culture. It is ministry to a culture that above all prizes the quest for truth, goodness and beauty; a culture that transmits the wisdom from the past, but is never satisfied with it; a culture that draws strength from and which feeds all disciplines, all ethnic groups, all nations, all creeds. It is a culture that seeks to form the entire person, so that that person can be an agent of change in a rapidly changing global society. "
I'm afraid I'm a lot less sanguine about the university community. A lot of the folks who are in charge at the modern secular university would deny that truth, goodness and beauty exist as objective facts, let alone that they prize them. And drawing strength from all creeds ? Try to draw on the moral teachings of traditional Judaism and Christianity on the sanctity of unborn human life and see how far you get.
On the other hand there are some excellent insights as well, my favorite being his comment that campus ministry demands "a great ability to balance, infinite patience, and a sense of humor. " Also, the accompanying picture of the Venerable biases me in its favor, as it illustrates something I am hoping for and pray for every day. (See Item 10.) So I'm both appreciative and a bit perturbed by the piece. And why, why does it have to refer to the late Fr. de Chardin ?















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home